BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND FOR THE 4th YEAR… SLSRC is once again starting the Fall/Winter sessions of “Back to the Basics” classes for Amateur Radio.
The classes are for ALL Amateurs, but are geared toward new amateurs, those who want to refresh their knowledge, and those who are not amateurs….yet !
The classes will be at 7 PM on the first Friday of each month from October- March, in rooms 419-420 of the Clinical Learning Institute (Goldfarb School of Nursing) at Missouri Baptist Hospital. (Same meeting location as the monthly SLRC meetings.)
MEETING DATES AND TOPICS ARE:
- October 4– Tech License privileges and your first VHF/UHF station, antennas/coax, using repeaters, etc. We will have a “mock” net so you can “get on the air.”
- November 1- Your first HF radio, calling CQ, modes and operating procedures on HF, antennas, coax, etc.
- December 6– Safety- Antenna and tower safety, electrical wiring, grounding, RF radiation, etc.
- January 3 – Testing procedures- basic instruments and how to use them- SWR meter, antenna analyzer, dummy load, etc.
- February 7 – Activities in Amateur Radio- awards, contests, QSL cards, nets, EmComm, public service, Field Day, etc.
- March 6 – Other aspects of Amateur Radio (HamWAN, satellite, digital modes, Hot Spots, SDR, contesting, QRP, portable operation, etc.
In addition to a presentation about each topic, there will be a Q&A session with several Mentors (aka “Elmers”) available to answer your questions.
All amateurs and future amateurs are invited to attend….not licensed “yet”…newly licensed….been licensed but not active…and of course, “old timers.”
Contact Cliff KCØSDV at education@SLSRC.org for information or questions.